Monday, January 18, 2021

Life's Jugaad- Minimalist Approach. (Day 17)

When I was a child, I had one pair of shoes which worked everywhere. I wore them as school uniform, while playing cricket, walking, running, or going out. Now I have around 10 pairs of shoes- one pair for walking, one pair for hiking, one for biking, one for business purposes.

These days I am leaning more towards less than more.  I like to own fewer things. I want to live with essential things. I like the minimalist approach. 

  • Our purchases can be attributed to either needs or wants. There are things we need, and there are things we want. On one end, we can convince ourselves that the things we are buying are the things we need, and we can keep buying them. The opposite end is the minimalist attitude- buying only the things we really need.
  • Share-economics: Share or borrow things that we need temporarily.
  • Focusing on things that really matter in our life, and discarding the items that are creating distractions.
  • I feel that the material doesn't really make us happy.  It can't make us happy. Like most things in life, everything has a good and a bad side. A thing can make you happy, and at times, it can make you sad too.

  • Let me refer to the positive and negative forces that we have been talking about in this blog. Nature likes to destruct things so something else can be recreated. In my observation, I have seen that keeping everything else constant, the mere passing of time is going to bring out more negative compared to positive. Take an example of a new car, or a new computer. The joy or happiness of it starts building up before the purchase. Probably it peaks when you own it. Shortly after that the joy or happiness starts going down. At some point, it just becomes a don't-care thing. Then after some more time, the same car or computer starts feeling a bit insufficient, its weaknesses become more apparent compared to the strength we saw in the beginning. The joy is gone, at this time, and at some point, we become anxious to get rid of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment