Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Tech Jugaad- Building Computers, Changing Times (Day 19)

My 14 years old son somehow got interested in having a gaming computer. Maybe he was getting bored with Xbox. He came to me with the idea of building a computer together. I had built my last two desktops over the last 14 years so I agreed with the idea. I thought this could be a good learning exercise for him to know computers.

We both entered in this new project without being aware of our different mindsets! Some interesting contrasts.

  • For me, when I built a computer in the past, I started with low expectations. He starts with high expectations!
  • I made computers in the past because it was cheaper to make them. In those days, there were rebates so you can sometimes get a case for free and also other components for less in the Black Fridays sales, or after rebates. I actually built the previous two computers after the Thanksgiving sales. I was able to assemble them myself and save money. I don't think I bought any component at the retail or full price ;)  Not the case anymore with the younger generation! 
  • Normally, you get good deals on parts that are not the latest so I would normally buy parts that are in the mainstream, not on the cutting edge. My son's idea is to make a fairly fast computer, with specific brands for a must for the certain components.
  • I always bought AMD CPUs because, in those days, AMD was a distant two manufacturer of CPUs. As a company, it was struggling. Intel as such dominated the CPU market by building it's brand with "Intel Inside" campaigns. Naturally, AMD CPUs were cheaper. Plus AMD was the pioneer of 64-bit processors so I found a great value with AMD. I was one of the early adopters of 64-bit processors. My son likes AMD too, Ryzen CPUs. However, now they are considered hot as Ryzen has really made a name in the market for their CPUs for gamers! They are also in short supply so hard to find at good or detail prices. 
  • I would buy any motherboard, Hard Drive, DVD  drive, or GPUs. I considered all of them as some commodity so whoever offered a good price, I would go for it. Reviews were secondary. I would say I wasn't disappointed with this approach. Not so with the new generation. He is picky!
  • The case or look or my computer was the last priority. It was supposed to be under the desk and invisible. Not so with him. His computer is going to sit on the desk and it needs to look cool.
  • My computers were workhorses. They were supposed to get work done. His computer needs to speak for him. He intends to use it to make a statement about his tastes and interests.
  • With my first two computers, once I decided, I would start buying parts as deals came along, without having any budget or must-haves about it. He started with budgeting and created a Google doc with what parts he wanted and how much we would spend for it. I love this budgeting and planning part this time.
  • In the past, once I was done building the computers, the cables and wires management was never worth any efforts! He is serious about keeping the look neat and clean! I am impressed!
  • I never considered cooling the CPU as a serious thing. He is different. He seriously wants to use AIO, RGB fans, a radiator for cooling the CPU! This just doesn't get into my head! Most of the time, the heatsink of the CPU and a standard fan works fine in my (strong) opinion IMSO LOL. I also know that his set up is not going to generate that much heat anyway that would require a car-like radiator with cooling fluid and a motor. I try to explain to him my thinking, but he is not willing to listen, or negotiate! Just funny how we both talk, argue on this topic.
  • I have a keyboard which I am willing to give him ...but he wants some cool mechanical keyboard. Same thing. I use a keyboard as an input device, he sees it differently! For me, a keyboard is a keyboard; for him, a keyboard is a key board (part)  in his setup!
  • I never thought of overclocking my system. He is sure he would overclock his CPU! For me, I would monitor the CPU utilization in the Task Manager and see if it is a bottleneck. If it is, there may be a need to overclock or upgrade the CPU. I am sure he is not going to hit the CPU capacity to the fullest so IMSO, he shouldn't overclock the system. However, he sees it differently.
  • I am in no rush to build the computer, as part of me, is still looking for deals in components. Also, I don't see any need for the immediate use of the computer. (I am also afraid that, after the computer is ready, he is going to start bugging for games! He already has an XBOX and games!). However, he wants the computer to be done yesterday! This also leaves both of us as not so compatible partners in this new Tech project! Still, with all these similarities and differences between the two partners, I am enjoying the project, in a way (not sure he does too). I am getting out of my box, my world, and it seems by entering into his world, I am feeling a bit fresh, and rejuvenated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment